Author: Maria Zannini
Source: Requested Review
Genre: (Erotic) Paranormal Romance
Format: eBook, 101 pgs
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Banished from Heaven for refusing to harvest an unwilling soul, Liam Chase drinks to forget night after night until the Angel of Death pays him a visit.
For the price of a few humans souls, Ziva promises to get him reinstated into Heaven. Liam doesn’t doubt her influence, but milking humans of their light is an unspeakable crime, punishable by eternal oblivion.
He’d rather rot on Earth than commit such a heinous sin. But the Angel of Death didn’t get where she was by taking no for an answer. Ziva is a huntress of extraordinary skill and cruelty. If he refuses, his loved ones will be her next targets. And Ziva never misses
Ziva has already set her sights on Shannon, the soul he once refused to harvest, and his beloved servant, Evie. He’ll do anything to keep them safe, even if it means his death.
But something goes wrong just as he concedes, and the chain of souls picks a new mistress before he has a chance to deliver.
Brought before the most feared angel of Heaven and Hell, Liam discovers he has failed to protect those he loves, and now they too could share his fate.
This is the second in the Second Chances series featuring an angel cast out of heaven, one of Hell's angels, an imp, a shade and an interesting take on Heaven and Hell. All is not all good nor evil in Zannini's Heaven and Hell.
This is a quick read and I have to give it a compliment, which for me is one of the highest I can give -- I didn't want it to end.
Most of the characters from the first book return here in the second:
- Liam, ousted angel and former soul harvester
- Michael, Liam's brother, one of Hell's angels
- Evie, an imp and sprite, Liam's nether
- Wilson, Liam's manservant
- Shannon, still a shade, still belongs to Michael and still loves Liam while caring for Michael as well
Along with a few new characters:
- Ziva, Archangel Gabriel's mistress, "as close to royalty as they had in the first plane of Heaven ... an Ascendant known for centuries as the 'Angel of Death'."
- Aiden, a detective, is investigating a demon's body found in alley beside Shannon's shop. Can see and talk to ghosts. Evie recognizes him as "the reincarnated spirit of a long-ago lover" from when she was a succubus; she'd never gotten over him.
- Cerberus, of three-headed demon dog fame, has a little secondary roll in this story.
The story begins with Liam getting drunk and lamenting the fact that not only did he get thrown out of heaven for not harvesting Shannon's soul, he lost her to his brother Michael as his shade.
Ziva comes to Liam with a deal he doesn't want to accept. Tells him, "But an ousted angel is a vulnerable angel. Heaven doesn’t want you and Hell just wants to fuck with you." She threatens the lives of both Shannon and Evie. Shannon unintentionally gets in the middle of things and in the end she is changed forever along with some others.
This is not strictly a paranormal romance, nor is it what I normally think of as an urban fantasy. There is still the romance going on between Shannon and Michael, Shannon and Liam and a rekindled romance between Evie and Aiden. And while it is a true paranormal romance between the secondary characters of Evie and Aiden, it is still a continuing story for Shannon and the brothers so theirs is more along the lines of an urban fantasy.
While this is a stand alone novella, I highly recommend reading The Devil To Pay, the first novella in the series first so you will know all the background to understand the relationships better.
This novella is twice as long as the first in the series; let's hope the trend continues and the third will be twice as long as this one. I eagerly await the next in the series.